CARDIFF, Wales Poets, singers and musicians from across the globe gathered in Wales to celebrate the tradition***傳統*** of storytelling.
“It might seem strange that people still want to listen in age of watching television, but this is an unusual art form whose time has come again,” said David Ambrose, director of Beyond the Border, an international storytelling festival***節*** in Wales.
“Some of the tales, like those the Inuit from Canada, are thousands years old. So our storytellers have come from distant lands to connect us with the distance of time,” he said early this month.
Two Inuit women, both in their mid 60s, are among the few remaining who can do Kntadjait, or throat singing, which has few words and much sound. Their art is governed by the cold of their surroundings, forcing them to say little but listen attentively.
Ambrose started the festival in 1993, after several years of working with those reviving ***coming back into use or existence*** storytelling in Wales.
“It came out of a group of people who wanted to reconnect with traditions. and as all the Welsh are storytellers, it was in good hands here.” Ambrose said.
1. Ambrose believes that the art of storytelling _______.
A. will be more popular than TV
B. will be popular again
C. started in Wales
D. are in the hands of some old people
2. From the tales told by the Inuit, people can learn _______.
A. about their life as early as thousands of years ago
B. why they tell the stories in a throat-singing way
C. how cold it has been where the Inuit live
D. how difficult it is to understand the Inuit
3. According to the writer, which of the following is NOT true?
A. Storytelling once stopped in Wales.
B. Storytelling has a long history in Wales.
C. Storytelling is always well received in Wales.
D. Storytelling did not come back until 1993 in Wales.
4. The underlined phrase in good hands means _______.
A. controlled by rich people B. grasped by good storytellers
C. taken good care of D. protected by kind people
1. B。推斷題。根據 …but this is an unusual art form whose time has come again 可以推斷這種講故事的傳統會再度受到歡迎。
2. A。細節題。根據 Some of the tales, like those the Inuit from Canada, are thousands years old 可推知此題答案為 A。
3. D。細節題。文中說Ambrose started the festival in 1993，Ambrose1993年創辦了這個節，但並不等於說講故事的傳統1993年才恢復的，這是兩碼事。故選D。
4. C。詞義猜測題。從 as all the Welsh are storytellers 可以推斷出 in good hands 是“照顧得好或舉辦得好”的意思，故選 C。