1. Every one of_____ Peace Club is required to get_____better understanding of their system.
A. the; the B. the; a C. /; a D. /; /
2. He was doing much phsical exercise to build up his______.
A. ability B. body C.strength D.mind
3. The dead dog still______ where I____it a moment ago.
A. lies; laid B. lied; lay C. laid; laid D. lies; lay
4. The teacher was___ a very old man, but in fact he was only a little over fifty.
A. apparently B. evidently C. obviously D. gently
5. The tomato juice left a brown_____ on the front of my jacket.
A. track B. trace C. spot D. point
6.You should allow your children the space to voice their opinions,______they are different from your own..
A. until B. even if C. unlness D. as though
7. Marry was holidaying with her family in a wildlife park______she was bitten on the leg by a lion.
A. while B. when C. before D.after
8. Many of the animals in Rowling’s word are not real, and much of______happens is strange.
A. which B. that C. what D. it
9. That art centre is______used to be a factory,________millions of cars were made in.
A. what; which B. where;where C. what; where D.where; which
10. _______different life today it is from ______was fifty years ago!
A. What a; what B. How ; what C. What; what D. What a; how
11. The naughty boy spoke in such a______as to make the teacher very angry.
A. way B. manner C. means D. method
12. ------I thought I asked you to fix the radio.
------Oh, I’m sorry. I_______it right away.
A. would do B. was about to do C. will do D. am going to do
13. The bomb______at 11:15 a.m. and killed 36 persons altogether.
A. exploded B. exposed C. exploited D. exported
14. ----May I use your new dictionary? I want to consult it.
----It’s over there.____.
A. Feel free B. Got it C. Not problem D.It depends
15. Trouble was expected at the football match, so the police truned out________force.
A. under B. on C. in D. by
16._____the stress of examinnation is over, we can all relax.
A. When B. Even if C. for D. Now that
17. ______satisfies me is________we can pay for all this.
A. It; that B. That; how C. what ; that D. As; that
18. _______man must fear when travelling in space is radiation from the sun.
A. Which B. How C. What D. That
19. In ____Chinese culture, marriage decisions were often made by parents for their children.
A. traditional B. historie C. modern D. remote
20. Gathering clouds________the coming storm.
A. declared B. turned out C. appeared D. announced
21. The headmaster has a particular way of_____her students nervousness when they speak.
A. breaking down B. breaking off C. breaking up D. breakfing away
22. Some kinds of animals can change their color with _______.
A. conditions B environment C. surroundings D. situation
23. My home is two miles_______from here.
A. distant B. distance C. far D. far away
24. ——How far apart do they live?
——_____I know, they live in the same neighborhood.
A. So far B. As far as C. As well as D. By far
25.He can’t______ what has happened to the wheat, for it was very dried this winter.
A. look out B. figure out C.work out D. take out
26.---- We’d better hurry;we have no time left.
----- ______ Do you really to see the boring film?
A. So what ? B.Take it easy C. Take your time D. For what
27.Proper exercise is good for your health._____, too much is bad for it.
A. Therefore B. But C. However D. while
28. ----- You should have finished your homework, I gave your much time.
----- Sorry, but I_____ it.
A. had forgotten B.forgot C. was forgotten D. forget
29.As ____ changed, and whatever men can do, women can do, too.
A. age has B. ages have C. times have D. time has
30. ----- How do find the boy at home?
A.Very interesting B. in the bed C. in the kitchen D. under the table
31. On turning the corner, we saw the road _____ steeply.
A. departing B. decreasing C. descending D. depressing
32.. We can't _____ one to change the habits of a lifetime in a short time.
A. hope B. wait C. expect D. imagine
33. It was necessary to _____ the factory building as the company was doing more and more business.
A. extend B. increase C. lengthen D. magnify
34.She is so______ to his English teaching that I admire for his______.
A.devote; devote B. devoting; devotion C. devoted; devotion D. devoted; devote
35. Father told me to_____the milk unntil it boiled and then turn off the gas.
A observe B. watch C.notice D. see
36.My parents have____ us $15,000 for the house. Shall we take it?
A. provided B. supplied C. shown D. offered
37. I asked the tailor to make a small _____ to my trousers because they were too long.
A. change B. variation C. revision D. alteration
38. As a result of the strong sun, my new dining room curtains _____ from dark blue to gray within a year.
A. faded B. fainted C. paled D. diminished
39. The story didn’t_____ children probably because the auther employed too many scientific terms in it.
A. apply to B. appeal to C. refer to D. lead to
40. You can’t guess what difficulty I had_____ your home.
A. find B. to find C. finding D. found
41. Jack is good, kind, hard-working and intelligent. _____, I can't speak too highly of him.
A. As a result B. By the way C. On the whole D. In a word
42. Evidence obtained from observation and experiment is often used to _____ a scientific theory.
A. confirm B. confine C. conform D. conceive
43. Political parties often differ in their views on various _____ concerning their own countries.
A. ways B. measures C. issues D. patterns
44. _____ his knowledge of the mountainous country, John Smith was appointed as our guide.
A. In spite of B. On account of C. Regardless of D. In place of
45. The lawyer was expected to _____ some proposals after reading all those documents.
A. come up with B. put up with C. look up to D. keep up with
46. To all the famous artists’ surprise, the unknown woman’s two_______paintings are also on show in the art exhibition.
A. littie blue oil B. blue little oil C. oil blue little D. little oil blue
47.----Why did you go back to the shop?
-----I left my friend______there.
A. waiting B. to wait C. waits D. waited
48.He did’t make _____clear when and where the meeting would be held.
A. this B. that C.it D. one
49.May 1 vacation is _______.I can’t wait to go back home.
A. coming B. on the way C. approaching D. A.B and C
50.They are all very clever, but _______of them could work the problem out.
A. any B. some C. none D. neither